Now that most of us have finally worked out how to spell Pinterest along comes Instagram. Instagram is a mobile application that is the brain child of Kevin Systrom, a college friend of Mark Zuckerberg’s. In reality, Zuckerberg invited Systrom to sign up with him at Instagram when the social media site was still just a concept in Zuckerberg’s head, but Systrom opted to stay in school. That decision has resulted in Systrom becoming Silicon Valley’s, and Stanford University’s, latest internet billionaire.
Instagram is a free photo sharing social media site launched on October 6, 2010. It allows users to download photos, process them via a digital filter, and share them with other users they are connected to. Instagram continues to be wildly successful in the first place. By December 2010 they already had over 1 million users. By April 2012, 30 million users were downloading over 150 million photos on Instagram. Also in April, Instagram became offered to android users. Seeing a threat to its social media marketing dominance, Facebook acted fast to neutralize its latest competitor. Again in April, Facebook bought Instagram for $1 billion.
How can local small businesses utilize Instagram? First, you need to register. To register an organization you have to have a spot page. In order to produce location page for your business, you must create a free account in Foursquare. Foursquare is a location based social media site for mobile users. Instagram uses Foursquare’s location database to tag a photo to that location. In case your location is not already listed on Foursquare’s database, you can add it by simply following these steps as recommended on Instagram’s webpage:
1. Sing up utilizing your brand since the user name.
2. Put in a profile picture, information regarding the company and a link to your web page
3. Connect to our other social networking accounts (Facebook, Twitter, etc.)
Since you now have your money set up, you can commence to create a presence on Instagram. Amongst the strategies which you can use are:
1. Share compelling content. Where have you ever heard that before? Whoever has followed inbound marketing, seo, and building an online presence knows that it all begins with content. Don’t be afraid to test out your photos. Request feedback from the followers. What exactly do they like by far the most? Think about minimal?
2. Use hashtags to discover more followers and share your photos. When utilizing hashtags, be specific. This will help you find like-minded people who could be more probably be considering your products or services. So rather than simply saying #car, say #bmw. Attempt to engage the people who are most directly interested in your product. Look at how many other businesses are doing in your industry. They probably have used ideas who have not occurred to you personally.
3. Share the photo on other social networking sites. Instagram allows you to easily share photos on Facebook, Foursquare, Twitter, Tumblr, and Flickr. Once these users see your photo they will likely visit your site, or commence to follow you on Instagram.
4. Ensure your photos tell the tale you want to tell. Posting a photo of this great steak dinner you’re planning to eat won’t would you much good should you own a tire shop. Be authentic. Your users will be able to determine if the photos you happen to be posting are actual or otherwise not
5. Be consistent. Don’t over-saturate your posts, but post often enough to maintain our followers engaged.
One of the criticisms of Instagram is the fact that its filters destroy good photographs. This complaint comes mainly from professional photographers who may be feeling the warmth of competition. Their standards of the items is appropriate are generally greater than the general public at large as well. For the majority of business purposes, the photo reproduction in Instagram is “adequate”.
Another criticism is that Instagram has no business model and little if any income. But that is Facebook’s problem, not yours. As more online searchers conduct business on mobile devices, it is the prudent internet marketer that will help the most. Leveraging apps like Instagram will pay dividends down the highway.
Instagram is not the area to merely share product shots on a regular basis. Consider the experience folks have using what you’re offering, or even the benefits it gives people. Even better, show real-examples. Seeking user-generated content from your audience is an excellent method to achieve this. Which means that users share their photos using a hashtag you provide.
You don’t must cram every hashtag you can think of in a single post, but you do need at the very least a few. A hashtag is the # sign then descriptive words regarding your image as with this example, I used #marketing and #ctaconf, which was the conference I had been attending at that time. Each time a user clicks/taps on the hashtag or types a hashtag to the search box, it brings up all images which use that hashtag. The consumer can even sign up to carry on and follow that hashtag.
Anticipation is definitely the user will spot your photo, head for your profile and best-case scenario, follow you and get engaged with increased of your posts! However, when hashtags are really popular, the competition to show up inside the results is fierce. Similar to SEO keywords, the greater popular an expression is, the harder it is actually to keep at the top in the search engine results. Thus, my demonstration of using #marketing really lwvnib futile if I desired to have any traction from that post.
You need to help make your hashtags related to your business and site, but additionally engaging enough which a user would type them into Instagram’s search box. Make sure you let people know that their images might be featured on your own page and also you can improve your Instagram content in a major way – at no cost!
Regardless of how you make use of Instagram to your business, be authentic and true for your brand. It’s exactly what the platform is centered on, and it’s going that will help you improve your business, gain Instagram followers and attract sales or leads.